Saturday, December 24, 2005

Substance Abuse & Stray Animals !!!

Hey All ,

I promised I would update more frequently but a technical problem with my computer prevented me from updating .. sorry …plus exams ... any how .. I will talk about two un related topics today ..

Substance abuse
I know that most of you guys live in high-class areas but it happen that I visited many of the poor territories , for different reasons visiting friends sometimes or during my field work doing family health rotation in the health centers … I noticed an increase of “substance Abuse” like cologne , shoe polishers , paints ,glue etc . the most common one around here is shoe polishers .. they sprayed it over piece of cloth or directly inside an empty can of fizzy drinks and they breath the vapor .. the effect is hallucination and finally addiction .. the problem is that those material contain many toxic materials that affect directly the brain and would leave the patient some times with permanent brain damage that would appear in his motor and mental ability . Now what should we do with those people .. treat them as patients and send them to hospitals or treat them as criminals and send them to the jail ? they usually sentenced for three months here and as I have heard they return to their addiction after their release .. Another noticed problem is the addiction to cologne in those areas because liquor is too expensive for them. the problem with those cologne that the percentage of alcohol is much more higher(some times +80%) than the percentage of alcohol in liquor ( ranging from 1% in beer to 45% in liquor ) and would cause more addiction and they will develop all the complication of drinking alcohol in a shorter period comparing to liquor due to high percentage of alcohol and due to presence of some toxins that may even cause blindness , I saw two cases for young men in their twenties admitted with chronic liver diseases that manifest as a permanent damage to the liver and would need liver transplant … most of those patient are abandoned even by their own families and no one even visit them .. the problem is those materials are cheap and available every where .. they are not like heroin or cocaine where the gram would cost something like 20-30 Rial .some of those materials are as cheap as 200 bizza .


Did you notice the increase in stray animals in Muscat ? last week I was about to crash with stray dog but thanks god the street was empty so I avoided the collision…wondering who’s job is that Muscat municipality or the police ? cause I saw a couple of police officers shooting a dog in Seeb area . actually you may notice that many dead cats in the street hit by a car ..part of me says those animals should be kept in shelter and some one maybe will adopt them, well I don’t think this is very common in our region amean even if you want a pet you would buy one or adopt newly delivered puppies or kittens from some one you know . and part of me says those animals should be kept out of the street no matter how .. cause they may cause road traffic accidents and they could transmit a lot of diseases . What do you think ?

Tip of the Day : be soft when you judge on others .. be hard when you judge on your self ..

7 Comments:

Blogger Najah said...

poor animals, i wouldnt want to have a pet like those cas and dogs we have round the area, they loook SCARY like they have aids staghfur allah or something. Killing them is just so Cruel, oh my god killing an aunt is bad what about a living creature who harms nothing. I don know what a solution might be but we as drviers maybe can pay more attention and slow while driving, and if it suddenly comes then WHO TOLD HIM TO DO SO....

about those substances and lcohols, I don't live in a hight class regeion and boy i know many of those boys/kids/men who take those damaging things but i really think it is lack of'wa3iy' Their just ignoran, whether if it was a religous side, a healhy side any side poor things.. many many factors come to play when you get serious with them. I think we need to have more awareness about such things...
--------

I love myself, cant go hard on me as ur tip suggested!

3:55 PM  
Blogger . said...

- Addiction to glues and toxics materials are wide spread in uneducated people, usually high-school dropouts, plus there's no enough social care they get from the government, like propation or something.

- Killing Dogs is normal, usually some of these dogs aren't friendly and can attack humans and cause serious diseases if they bite you.

- Having shelters might be a good solution as it seems but in reality it is not because none would adopt a normal or skinny or ugly cat or dog.

- And, I think the better solution is to reduce the number of pets population by disabling them and making them not giving birth more than once, and this is done by a Vet. I don't know if this is haram or not but it works.

Salam--[x]

8:57 PM  
Blogger Arabian Princess said...

I remmber few years back, I was told that one of those stray dogs attacked a police man and was about to kill him .. they are dangrous! I feel bad for them to be killed, but well somtimes what needs to be done should be done!!

I noticed that the number of stray dogs increased, anywhere you go you see dogs here or there.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Luisa said...

They should suicide, cats i mean, dogs i like.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Lym said...

No matter what , they should not be shot. They should be put to sleep.
Our religion asks us to be gentle with Animals , How come no-one is saying anything about that!

Argh!

11:55 PM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Happy New Year

Hope all is well on your side

Addication is really increasing over this part of world as what you seem to indicate here...

12:06 AM  
Blogger iamnasra said...

Its been awhile ...really Im not sure what to say but one thing my condolences for it is all is our loss

11:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home